GST Migration of persons registered under the existing law – GST Rules
GST Migration of persons registered under the existing law. Section 139 of the Act prescribes the procedure for migration of existing taxpayers to GST. It provides that on and from the appointed day, every person registered under any of the earlier laws and having a valid Permanent Account Number shall be issued a certificate of registration on provisional basis on fulfillment of certain prescribed conditions. The final certificate of registration shall be granted on fulfillment of certain additional conditions. The provisional registration shall be cancelled if such conditions are not complied with.
The provisional registration certificate issued to a person shall be deemed to have not been issued if the said registration is cancelled in pursuance of an application filed by such person that he was not liable to registration under section 22 or section 24.
GST Migration of persons registered under the existing law
(1) (a) Every person, other than a person deducting tax at source or an Input Service Distributor, registered under an existing law and having a Permanent Account Number issued under the Income-tax Act, 1961 (Act 43 of 1961) shall enrol on the Common Portal by validating his e-mail address and mobile number, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(b) Upon enrolment under clause (a), the said person shall be granted registration on a provisional basis and a certificate of registration in FORM GST REG-25, incorporating the GSTIN therein, shall be made available to him on the Common Portal:
Provided that a taxable person who has been granted multiple registrations under the existing law on the basis of a single PAN shall be granted only one provisional registration under the Act:
Provided further that a person having centralized registration under Chapter V of the Finance Act, 1994 shall be granted only one provisional registration in the State or Union territory in which he is registered under the existing law. (CGST Rules only)
(2)(a) Every person who has been granted a provisional registration under sub-rule (1) shall submit an application electronically in FORM GST REG–24, duly signed, along with the information and documents specified in the said application, on the Common Portal either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner.
(b) The information asked for in clause (a) shall be furnished within a period of three months or within such further period as may be extended by in this behalf.
(c) If the information and the particulars furnished in the application are found, by the proper officer, to be correct and complete, a certificate of registration in FORM GST REG-06 shall be made available to the registered person electronically on the Common Portal.
Other Pars of GST Registration Rules
- Part 1 of this article – New GST Registration Rules 2018
- Part 2 of this article – Amendment in GST Registration
- Part 3 of this article – Cancellation of GST Registration
(3) Where the particulars or information specified in sub-rule (2) have either not been furnished or not found to be correct or complete, the proper officer shall cancel the provisional registration granted under sub-rule (1) and issue an order in FORM GST REG-26:
Provided that no provisional registration shall be cancelled as aforesaid without serving a notice to show cause in FORM GST REG-27 and without affording the person concerned a reasonable opportunity of being heard:
Provided further that the show cause notice issued in FORM GST REG-27 can be vacated by issuing an order in FORM GST REG-19, if it is found, after affording the person an opportunity of being heard, that no such cause exists for which the notice was issued.
(4) Every person registered under any of the existing laws, who is not liable to be registered under the Act may, within thirty days from the appointed day, at his option, submit an application electronically in FORM GST REG-28 at the Common Portal for cancellation of the registration granted to him and the proper officer shall, after conducting such enquiry as deemed fit, cancel the said registration.