FAQs on GST Invoice Upload / Download Offline Tool – All Queries
FAQs on GST Invoice Upload / Download Offline Tool – All Queries with solutions. Businesses that generate a large number of invoices in a tax period may find it cumbersome to upload invoices one-by-one. Not only that, it will become a time-consuming activity with a cost implication. Therefore, to facilitate the upload of invoices in bulk, Goods and Service Tax Network (GSTN) provides an Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool for Returns in which a taxpayer can add up to 19,000 line items in the offline mode and upload them to the GST Portal in one go. In case a taxpayer has more invoice data, they can use the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool multiple times to upload the same.
FAQs on GST Invoice Upload / Download Offline Tool
1. How can I download and install the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool in my system from the GST Portal?
1. Login to the GST Portal www.gst.gov.in.
2. Go to Downloads > Offline Utilities > Returns Offline Utility > Download button.
3. Unzip the downloaded Zip file which contain Offline-Tool.exe setup file, Sample files folder, Readme.txt and User Manual
- Offline-Tool.exe setup file for the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool to be installed in the local machine (your computer).
- Sample files folder which contains the excel templates with some sample data which should be deleted and actual data should be captured for importing the same to the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool.
- Readme.txt explaining in detail the prerequisites (system and software requirements of the computer in which the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool is to be installed) for successful working of the tool. Note: Ensure that the system requirements are met including the disk space of 50 MB.
- Invoice Upload Offline Tool User Manual.pdf to view the detailed steps and screenshots to upload the invoices through the tool.
4. Install the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool by double clicking the Offline-Tool.exe set up file and browse the location where you want to save the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool files in your computer
Note: Avoid installing the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool in the same location where you have saved the zipped files
5. The Offline Tool Logo will appear on the desktop.
6. Fill the invoice details in the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool manually or use sample templates
Important Note: – In case, User un-installs the Tool and re-installs the Tool, he should re-install at the same location. In case, User re-installs the Tool on different location he has to restart the system so that Tool refers to the new location. If user doesn’t restart the system, Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool will refer the old path and will not be able to open the project.
2. How can I fill the Invoice data in offline mode through the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool?
Once you have downloaded and installed the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool, you can use any of the four options to upload the invoice data.
- Option 1: Manual Entry of Invoice Data
- Option 2: Copy and Paste from Excel Workbook
- Option 3: Import Excel Workbook consisting of multiple sheets
- Option 4: Import the csv file
3. How can I upload the invoice data on the GST Portal?
After generating the return file in json format through Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool, login to the www.gst.gov.in URL for uploading the invoices.
Ensure that you are connected to the Internet to upload the JSON file to the Portal.
4. What happensif I am not connected to Internet while uploading the json file on the GST Portal?
JSON file generated through the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool can be uploaded to the GST common portal only when you are connected to the GST Portal through the Internet.
5. What will happen if the file size of generated json is more than 5 MB?
GST Portal doesn’t allow the json file to be uploaded with file size more than 5 MB. Delete some of the invoices in order to generate the json with file size less than 5 MB. You can generate the file again with these deleted invoices to upload the same on the Portal.
6. How can I check the file size of the generated json file?
Right click on the file and click on Properties. You can see the size of the generated json file.
7. How many maximum number of invoices can be uploaded through Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool in one go?
You can add up to 19000 line items comprising of all the different sections like b2b and b2c (large) in an offline return. There may be several line items in an invoice and hence the number of invoices that can be uploaded may be less than 19,000. The file generated for 19,000 or less line items can be uploaded to the portal at one go.
In case you have more invoice data, you can use the tool multiple times to generate the json file to upload the invoice data.
8. Is it mandatory to fill all sections in multi section excel file? Can I use multi section excel file even though I have limited section data?
Filling all the sections of the excel worksheet is not mandatory. You can use the excel worksheet to enter data for selective sections also. Remaining sections can be kept as blank and the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool will leave those sections blank and fill data only for the applicable sections as filled in the template..
9. How can I check the status of uploaded invoices if I have submitted the same through Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool?
You can check the status of the uploaded invoice details on the Portal once json file is uploaded to the portal. As soon as the JSON file is uploaded to the portal, a transaction id is generated by the portal. Once the upload is success the summary of the invoices uploaded, is updated in the respective section of the return.
10. Can I edit invoices uploaded through Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool in the GST Portal?
Yes, you can edit the invoices uploaded through Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool in the GST Portal before the return is submitted for processing.
11. Can I generate multiple json files for a single tax period?
Yes. You can generate multiple json files for a single tax period depending on the volume of data to be captured for the return.
12. What is the maximum size of JSON file?
Maximum size of the json file should not exceed 5 MB.
13. What are the basic checks that I have to do in the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool to ensure successful upload of json file on the GST Portal?
You need to check that section wise all fields are filled properly without any error or omission. Tool will highlight fields having errors in RED color. Please ensure you fill the template as per the instructions provided in the Excel template.
14. I have uploaded 100 invoices but only 85 invoices are visible on the GST Portal. Why?
For these 15 invoices, the validations already present in the Portal have failed and therefore these 15 invoices have been rejected. Error log for same will be created & it can be opened using the tool. After resolving the errors, invoices can be submitted again.
15. Copy & Paste excel option is showing error as invalid input. What it means?
Please ensure while copying the data you have copied the header sections along with the Header data from Row1 of the sheet.
16. Where will the generated JSON file get saved?
By default, it will be saved in the Downloads folder. You can also choose a different location to save the same.
17. Can I install the Invoice Upload/Download Offline Tool in my mobile device?
No. OfflineTool.exe setup file cannot be installed in mobile device.
18. When I uploaded the excel, my non-editable data (unique id) was wrong. When I am looking into the uploaded data in summary it is showing red block as the data is incorrect. How can I correct this data?
You need to delete the specific invoice and then add a new invoice with the correct invoice details. The unique details cannot be edited by the user.
19. When I uploaded the json on the GST portal it has generated the reference ID but I am unable to see the Invoice details added.
It can take few minutes to display the invoice details in the summary.